Patients who have not found pain relief through conservative (nonsurgical) care and have suffered a diminution in their quality of life and ability to function because of a symptomatic degenerated disc should educate themselves and discuss the benefits and risks of each type of surgery with their physician.
Benefits of Degenerative Disc Disease Surgery
In addition to possibly improving one’s quality of life, there are some benefits to surgery:
- Once the disc has been identified as the source of pain, surgery directly treats that source by removing the degenerated disc. Non-surgical interventions focus on managing the pain and improving back functionality but do not reverse the pathologic process of disc degeneration.
- Surgical techniques and devices continue to evolve so that the outcomes of procedures improve. Less invasive fusion techniques, artificial discs, newer bone harvesting techniques, and bone graft substitutes constitute real breakthroughs that expand surgical options for patients.
Lumbar Fusion Surgery
Artificial Cervical Disc Replacement Surgery
Artificial Cervical disc replacement (ACDR), sometimes called total disc replacement (TDR), is a newer and somewhat more complex procedure than fusion.
Artificial disc replacement surgery involves the following steps:
- Accessing the affected vertebral segment by making an incision in the lower abdominal wall;
- Dissecting behind the “six-pack” muscles;
- Working behind the bag of abdominal contents without disturbing them;
- Removing the degenerated disc;
- Restoring the height of the collapsed disc;
- Remobilizing the segment by releasing the contracted ligaments around the disc;
- And inserting an artificial disc in the correct position.
This type of surgery has been available in some countries for a number of years, and in the US one technology was made generally available in 2004.
Have Any Questions?
Neck & Spine Specialities
Dr. Nourian has an enviable record of successfully treating the full spectrum of neck and spine problems.
Disease & Disorders
Specialist in treating a wide variety of injuries and conditions that impact bones, joints, ligaments, tendons, muscles and nerves.
What Patients Think About Dr. Nourian
Awesome awesome doctor!!!very nice to all his patient! Dr. Nourian is very kind and caring. A very pleasant man and easy to communicate with. He saw my son when he injured his hip and He took extra good care of him. After 2 wks he was able to resume sports. He’s not only a very good orthopedic surgeon but also an amazing Spine doctor. He always make sure he always gets the job done. 2 Thumbs up to this Doctor!!!??
Dr. Nourian was fantastic! He was able to alleviate my back pain. I would recommend him to anyone
Dr. Nourian is the best. His bedside manner is friendly and professional and his staff is excellent. I went to see him after a terrible whiplash injury when I rear-ended while driving. After receiving my MRI results, the doctor was quick to reach out and went over my options with me. He really cares about his patients.
Michelle Sadighpour Shophet
Dr. Nourian is an outstanding physician. I injured my back while exercising recently. I went to see him, and he explained my injury to me in detail. He told me that my injury would most likely heal without surgery, but if I needed surgery in the future he would get me through it. He is honest, intelligent, and forthcoming. I am thankful for him as my spine physician.
Dr. Nourian was absolutely fantastic. I was struggling with intense lower back pain. He took his time 40 minutes to be exact to see me and review everything with me after another follow up we decided to do surgery. Thank god!!! I’m back to working out, picking up my child, and living my best life. I was so hesitant to do surgery but he was a true god send. He would call me weekly to see how I’m doing.
Dr. Nourian is smart, caring, attentive and super knowledgeable. I highly recommend him as an orthopedic surgeon!
Sharon Darouvar Greiner
Great with patients and consciences of patient’s time as well as needs. He will spend time to assure the patients with respect to treatment plan and follow-up was amazing with my auntie’s back issues.
An extremely knowledgeable doctor with wonderful bedside manner. He clearly explained every step of the procedure and eased all my worries. My back is feeling great thanks to Doctor Nourian
After seeing three doctors and all of them saying I should operate Dr Nourian was able to address and issue without and surgery. I got an epidural and did physical therapy and I’m able to run around with my grand child. He’s truly a gem. Everyone at the office was friendly and supportive.
Dr. Nurian explained everything very well and preformed the surgery exactly as planned. I woke up pain free and the surgery pain was gone in five days. Could not give him enough praise.